split pea soup

Apr 24, 2013

No matter the season, I love making and eating soups. I usually serve mine with a grilled cheese sandwich or a delicious salad. Mmmm, so good! Lately, I've been making a fantastic split pea and thyme soup which I found via the food network. I tweaked mine a bit. Since I'm a vegetarian, I skipped the ham and replaced the chicken stock with a veggie one. I promise you won't be disappointed... let me know if you give it a try! 

You'll need: 

2 tbsp butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced 
1 stalk celery, diced 
1 leek, white part only, washed and diced 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
2 bay leaves 
1 sprig of fresh thyme 
1 1/2 cups green split peas 
10 cups vegetable stock
Coriander, small handful, chopped 
Parsley, small handful, chopped
Cracked salt & pepper, to taste 

Instructions: 

Heat your butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, leek and garlic... I usually cook mine for about 5 minutes. Next you'll want to add your bay leaves, thyme, split peas and cook for a couple more minutes. Then increase your heat to high, add your stock and bring your soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let your soup simmer for 2 hours or until the split peas are soft. 

Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalks. Puree your soup with a hand-held blender. If it's too thick, you can add additional stock or water. Bring your soup back to a boil, add the chopped parsley & coriander and season to taste with salt & pepper. Enjoy!

9 sweet notes:

  1. Oh V, this sounds delicious! I love soup - we made a big pot of it at least once a week in Vancouver, but our kitchenere in Paris doesn't tolerate lengthy simmering very well. I can't try ths recipe anytime soon, but I'll definitely be bookmarking it for the future, especially since you made the vegetarian tweaks I need!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! And yay for making the vegetarian version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want a toasted cheese sandwich...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!Cant wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I've been looking for a good split pea soup recipe recently. The ones I've made in the past have been too bland but this recipe seems to have a good blend of seasonings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photograph and I need to try out this recipe because it looks so yummy! :)

    Have a Fabulous Friday!
    xoxo
    Crystal

    My Blog, Crystal Chizoba
    My YouTube Channel

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey V! you know even though i am a meat eater i still prefer pea soup sans the ham so this recipe is straight up yum to me!! i adore the darling vintage bowl you've served it up in too, so pretty.

    since the move and being without home internet is finally over i can return to visiting here more often...yah!!! even though i was off the blog, i was still paying attention though and i do love how you've transformed into this new space. it's a great spot to come to as a visitor and be filled with loveliness. happy Sunday!! xo ♥

    ReplyDelete

By The Shore | Vancouver Style Blog All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger